2.23.2009

Equus - 12/17/08

I thought about what article I could write about this, because honestly, I relate so much to the main character - Alan Strang - in more ways than I can describe. First off, let me give you a brief synopsis. Alan Strang is a 17 year old boy who is obsessed with horses. He always has been. But the media, his overly-religious mother, and atheistic father, and simply growing up have basically done a ninja on his brain.

The rumors that he blinds horses to have sex with them are completely false. Though horses, blinding, and sex are all involved. Not particularly in that order. Bestiality is, however, absent from the play. I encourage you to read it.

If not, here's some quotes to think about:

"His pain. His own. He made it. Look... to go through life and call it yours - your life - you first have to get your own pain. Pain that's unique to you. You can't just dip into the common bin and say 'That's enough!'... He's done that. All right, he's sick. He's full of misery and fear. He was dangerous and could be again, though I doubt it. But that boy has known a passion more ferocious than I have felt in any second of my life. And let me tell you something: I envy it."

"What did I expect of him? Very little, I promise you. One more dented little face. One more adolescent freak. The usual unusual. One great thing about being in the adjustment business: you're never short of customers."

"You sit in front of [the telly] long enough, you'll become stupid for life - like most of the population. The thing is, it's a SWIZ. It seems to be offering you something, but actually it's taking something away. Your intelligence and your concentration, every minute you watch it. That's a true swiz, do you see?"

"'Because I am faithful!' 'My name is Prince, and I'm a Prince among horses! Only my young Master can ride me! Anyone else - I'll THROW OFF!' And then I remember I used to tell him a funny thing about falling off horses. Did you know that when Christian cavalry first appeared in the New World, the pagans thought horse and rider was one person?"

"And Legwus begate Neckwus. And Neckwus begat Fleckwus, the King of Spit. And Fleckwus spoke out of his chinkle-chankle! I'm sure that was the word. I've never forgotten it. Chinkle-chankle. And he said 'Behold - I give you Equus, my only begotten son!'"

"No, wait! ... I'm sorry. I know you're upset. But it's not the end of the world, it it? I mean, what was he doing? Only what we were. Watching a silly film. It's a case of like father like son, I'd say!... I mean, when that girl was taking a shower, you were pretty interested, weren't you? We keep saying old people are square. Then when they suddenly aren't - we don't like it."

"Don't you see? That's the Accusation! That's what his stare has been saying to me all this time. 'At least I galloped! When did you?' ... I'm jealous, Hesther. Jealous of Alan Strang."

12/17/08

No comments:

Followers