1.03.2010

The Pope, A Calvinist, and some Baptist dude.

I turned away what some would call a soul-saver at work tonight. After greeting me with a friendly smile the youthful gentleman proudly showed me a lovely pamphlet bearing a cross and the name of the pastor. After briefly scanning the pamphlet and noticing it was from a Baptist denomination, I quickly told the young man that I wasn't interested. After flashing me that radiant smile once more he thanked me and wished me well. I quickly got back to work.

Did I just commit a sin?


This guy would probably just splash me with water.


Nevermind the fact that right now I'm pretty torn between Catholicism and Calvinism, never mind the fact that I would probably just have grilled this pour soul with my theological ramblings, and never mind the fact that I probably could have had a nice conversation with a fellow follower of Christ. My own mind has become such a tangled mess of theology and scripture that I can't even bring myself to talk to somebody I hardly know that may very well be going through the same struggles I am.

Now wait, you say. Catholic or Calvinist? Well good lord thats like choosing between Pope John Paul II or John Piper.


The choice is clear.


In all seriousness, I'm quite glad God is sending me on this little theological journey. After all, C.S. Lewis himself said that one cannot simply exist a mere Christian. There is a hallway of Christianity, but one cannot reside there. Here he explains his hallway metaphor in greater detail.

It is more like a hall out of which doors open into several rooms. If I can bring anyone into that hall I shall have done what I attempted. But it is in the rooms, not in the hall, that there are fires and chairs and meals. The hall is a place to wait in, a place from which to try the various doors, not a place to live in.


What was he smoking?


Lewis, much to Tolkien's dismay, chose Anglicanism over Roman Catholicism. Am I to follow in the great apologetic's path? Or will I write an epic fantasy series with little kids as heroes?

Wait a second...


I'll spare you anymore lame pictures and jokes by letting you all know that I plan to start reviewing music for this blog. And as a good Christian, I believe in sharing, so don't just read the review and forget about the album. Listen to it!

No comments:

Followers